National Stewardship Director
Who We Are:
The Water Mission® organization is a Christian engineering nonprofit that designs, builds, and implements safe Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Since 2001, Water Mission has used innovative technology and engineering expertise to provide access to safe water for nearly four million people in 55 countries. Water Mission has 350 staff members working around the world in permanent country programs located in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
Notably, Charity Navigator has awarded Water Mission its top four-star rating 12 years in a row, a distinction shared by less than one percent of the charities rated by the organization. To learn more, visit watermission.org.
The National Stewardship Director has dual responsibilities of leading the Investor Partnership team plus managing a major donor portfolio for a region of the United States. Approximately 60% of the role is building and managing the fundraising strategies for the Investor Partnership team to accomplish goals and objectives established by the Vice President of Volunteer and Investor Partnerships. This includes direct management of the teams related to major donors, mid-level donors, corporate partners, foundations, church strategy, and support functions.
The other 40% of the role is serving as a Regional Stewardship Director and building long-term partnerships with current and prospective major investors within their region of the United States. The focus is on helping the team share what God is doing through the ministry and intentionally developing relationships that invite people into deep and meaningful partnerships that will facilitate the ongoing funding of Water Mission programs.
The National Director reports to the Vice President of Volunteer and Investor Partnerships (VIP) and is part of the larger development team. This position will be based out of Charleston, SC, and will require 20-30 nights of travel annually, including domestic and international travel as necessary.
Lead the Investor Partnerships Team—60%
· Collaborates with Vice President of VIP to establish the department goals and priorities.
· Leads the various donor development programs by setting strategies and direction, building an excellent team and culture, and providing accountability for achieving results.
· Directly manages the execution of the various donor development programs including the teams for major and mid-level partnerships, corporate partnerships, church strategy, and foundations giving. Continually evaluates and measures performance by monitoring key metrics and conducting analysis.
· Builds the team through participating in recruiting, onboarding, and training key employees to ensure the highest standards of staff selection and preparation.
· Pursues the professional, spiritual, and personal development of staff. Ensures employees are effectively trained in job functions and mission/values of the IP department and Water Mission. Ensures each staff member has clear goals and is held accountable for work output.
· Oversees resource allocation and budgeting, forecasting requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions. Develops a sense of financial awareness on the part of all staff by creating a culture of stewardship and accountability.
· Supports the Vice President by providing excellent reporting and insightful analysis on donor activity and strategy execution. Attends Water Mission events or external meetings as required. Accepts other duties as assigned.
· Oversees donor vision trips on behalf of the department and coordinates with other Water Mission departments.
· Represents Water Mission at various events in a public relations context.
· Maintains a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, donors, prospects, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
Regional Stewardship Director—40%
1. Intentionally Creates and Builds Relationships
· Personally engages partners through a variety of means such as personal visits, special events, vision trips, and other meaningful touches (with a priority on face-to-face interaction)
· Manages a portfolio of approximately 60 priority partners
· Grows the portfolio by developing new giving partnerships through networking and research
· Develops and executes an annual plan including an individualized engagement strategy for advancing each relationship
2. Present Opportunities for Partnership
· Invites and shows people opportunities for deep and meaningful partnership through giving opportunities that align their ministry passions with the mission and programs of Water Mission
· Seeks other opportunities for partnership that utilize a partner’s influence, time, and talent
· Specifically seeks the leading of the Holy Spirit through each relationship and encounter
3. Serve and Care for Partners
· Thanks partners well by providing personal and timely acknowledgement
· Ministers to donors by connecting on a spiritual level, encouraging their walk with the Lord, praying with and for them, and incorporating principles of Biblical Stewardship as appropriate
· Provides customized impact reporting
· Keeps partners feeling connected, updated, and valued as true partners
· Personal conviction in alignment with Water Mission’s statement of faith and lifestyle demonstrating core values of love, excellence, and integrity required
· Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree preferred) with 5+ years of management experience
· Proven self-starter with successful track record of leadership, program management, and developing relationships with high capacity donors
· In-depth development expertise, knowing the various elements of major, mid-level, corporate, church, and foundations giving
· 3+ years’ experience in successfully developing relationships with high capacity individuals
· Experience in raising $1MM+ annually through major gifts
· Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management with the ability to achieve strategic objectives and successfully manage a budget
· Works effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
· Proven leadership skills with vision for ministry growth and strong commitment to evangelism
· Effective presentation skills and excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication abilities
· Results Orientation
· Managing Performance
· Building Organizational Commitment
· Developing Others
Interested, qualified applicants should apply at: https://watermission.org/get-involved/join-our-team/careers/