Who We Are:
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Since 2001, Water Mission has used innovative technology and engineering expertise to provide access to safe water for more than 3.6 million people in 55 countries. Water Mission has more than 250 staff members working around the world in permanent country programs located in Africa, Asia, North, South, and Central America, and the Caribbean. To learn more, visit WaterMission.org.
The Director of Events and Engagement plays a key role in the success of Water Mission. This position is responsible for leading a team that initiates, develops, and implements best-in-class strategic engagement and events programs that engage and deepen ministry relationships with a variety of audiences. These programs must include revenue generating opportunities and ambassador-raising activities that support the success of the department and the mission of the organization. The Director will play a hands-on role in both strategy and execution for special events, including Water Mission’s annual Charleston Walk for Water event, as well as national regional walks, third-party and peer-to-peer fundraising activities. Additionally, this role is responsible for strengthening the organization’s volunteer program, including developing opportunities for both local and national audiences to engage in the ministry.
This position requires the ability to thrive in a highly fluid environment as well as a “can do” attitude, with eagerness to develop strategy and lead new and innovative initiatives, measuring and articulating ROI. The successful candidate must be an evangelical Christian, sympathetic and committed to Water Mission’s part in fulfilling the Great Commission.
· Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree a plus, in marketing, business, communications, or public relations.
· 7+ years’ marketing, development and/or events experience, with demonstrated experience, preferred in the nonprofit sector; third-party and peer-to-peer fundraising a plus
· Demonstrated success in developing marketing, communications, or event strategies
· Excellent oral and written communications skills; strong decision-making skills
· Leadership skills to manage a team of diverse individuals for overall success.
· Supervisory experience; an engagement team, consultants, vendors and interns report to this position
· Strong detail orientation, process orientation, organizational, and multi-tasking skills; ability to effectively manage an unpredictable workload, competing priorities, and meet concurrent deadlines.
· Ability to handle a high volume of activities, excelling in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities while maintaining a positive team approach
· Experience with nonprofit organizations and ministries strongly preferred
· Experience with donor or customer databases, specifically Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud RENXT, Luminate, and Blackbaud’s TeamRaiser strongly preferred
· Character above reproach that inspires trustworthiness and dependability
· Dignity, maturity, and initiative to represent Water Mission successfully at the highest level
· Oversee strategy and execution across events and engagement to meet annual fund revenue goals focused primarily on unrestricted income
· Effectively manage resources and staff time to increase return on investment and stay within budget; aid staff in development budgets, outlining project workflows, and manage projects effectively
· Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications to activate donor potential, and increase constituent base through third-party fundraising, special events and other initiatives
· Demonstrate teamwork and commitment to growing the entire Water Mission stewardship portfolio.
· Represent Water Mission in a variety of settings as necessary, with major donors, collaborating non-profits and corporate partners
· Develop and manage positive and effective relationships with public, private, corporate, philanthropic, and nonprofit sector partners to advance the ministry’s goals
· Lead and direct public speaking engagements and make presentations to stakeholder groups and the public; including helping to organize, improve, and staff Water Mission tours
· Integrate a broad range of communications/engagement initiatives, resulting in an effective, efficient and strategic work plan
· Prioritize and ensure Water Mission’s engagement initiatives fully align and strengthen Water Mission’s values and priorities
· Results Orientation
· Service Awareness
· Developing Others
· Purpose Principles and Values
· Strategic Thinking
· Entrepreneurial Orientation
· Establishing Focus
Interested, qualified applicants should apply at: https://watermission.org/get-involved/join-our-team/careers/