Sr. Director of Advancement
Nature of Position: Paid Staff
Reports To: CEO
Direct Reports: Director of Partner Stewardship, Director of Marketing and Communications
Mission of the Ministry: Healing Waters International (HWI) is a Christian non-profit, empowering the world’s most vulnerable communities to establish safe water systems and enterprises so every person and household has affordable access to purified water – enabling the physical health, economic and educational opportunity and spiritual hope and dignity needed to overcome poverty and thrive as God intended. Since 2002, HWI has focused its efforts in Latin America with recent expansion into Africa, serving over 240,000 people daily in 16 different countries. HWI’s culture is innovative, tenacious, adventurous, full of integrity and motivated by the gospel of Jesus Christ. We seek skilled, passionate and creative leaders to join our team under the sunny skies of Golden, Colorado to help us bring life-saving, transformational impact to 1 million beautiful people in the most marginalized communities around the world.
Mission of the Role: The Sr. Director of Advancement (SDA) has primary responsibility to provide executive leadership for the development of resources necessary to advance the mission of HWI. This includes, but is not limited to, brand awareness, financial resources, strategic partnerships, and community advocacy. The SDA will report directly to the CEO, will serve on the Executive Leadership Team, and will manage all staff within the advancement division. He/She will work through their development and marketing teams to evaluate, sustain, and grow existing revenue generating sources, including but not limited to: major giving, topline giving, foundations, churches, strategic partners, etc. Additionally, the SDA must maintain a growing knowledge of non-profit advancement to manage continual improvement to Development, Marketing, and Communications efforts at HWI. All of this work is to be accomplished in accordance with the principles Advancement as laid out in scripture, which prioritize Christ’s role in leading our work, and prioritizes the donor’s role as steward of that with which God has entrusted to his/her care.
Is a person of committed Christian faith, supportive of the HWI Statement of Faith
Models actions and attitudes with authentic humility
Focuses on building trust and confidence in Healing Waters International as a whole
Remains updated on global events and all aspects of HWI programs, providing thought leadership in nonprofit advancement concepts, tools, tactics and strategies
Executive Leadership 15%· Hire and supervise all staff within the Advancement division.
· Serve as an active contributor on the Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
· Provide strategic leadership to the annual planning and execution of an overarching Advancement strategy (currently the “Find/Win/Keep/Lift continuum).
· Participate as requested in meetings of the Board of Directors.
Divisional Leadership 65%· Meet regularly with direct reports to monitor and lead progression of divisional priorities.
· Lead the division in such a way as to create increased commitment to the work of HWI, and growing competency for each staff with respect to their unique role.
· In coordination with CEO, manage a portfolio of the top 50 HWI Major Givers through the four-stage relationship management process: Identification, Qualification, Cultivation, and Stewardship.
· Provide leadership and supervision to the Development department for the effective execution of increased financial and partnership resources through all segments of givers.
· Provide leadership and supervision to the Marketing/Communications department for the effective execution of increased brand awareness and advocacy for the mission of HWI.
· Lead directors within division to catalogue, evaluate, and enhance their priority programs on an annual basis.
· Create and monitor dashboard of key lead/lag metrics for the division and make adjustments to work priorities as necessary.
· With department staff, coordinate the execution of all communication, event, trip, etc. priorities as outlined through annual planning processes.
Administration 15%· Ensure division dashboards are kept up to date and distributed to CEO and department staff as necessary.
· In coordination with VP of Finance, determine annual revenue targets (informed forecast) to assist in updates to organization budget annually.
· Prepare and present revenue reports (trends, analysis, actuals, etc.) to Board, CEO, and ELT as necessary.
· Ensure all data entry for division re: partner/constituent database is kept up to date.
Professional Growth5%· Reading (The Sower, The Choice, Revolution in Generosity, Story Brand, This Is Marketing, etc.)
· Attend conferences/trainings/webinars (i.e. Christian Leadership Alliance, etc.) as necessary to maintain growing connections with other industry leaders, and knowledge of industry best practices.
· Engage in periods of coaching as necessary.
Advanced degree in relatable field
Minimum of 7+ years of work experience in development/marketing within non-profit sector.
3+ years of proven success in management of a Major Donor portfolio
Proven effectiveness at managing multiple direct reports
Participates in a local Christian church and is a contributing part of a local body of believers
Strong presentation, persuasion, oral and written communications skills
Highly motivated, self-starter with enthusiasm for the mission of Healing Waters
Disciplined business process and organizational skills including establishing and meeting timelines and deadlines
Team player with a solutions-oriented mindset and attitude
Willingness and ability to travel 50+ nights annually, including domestically and internationally
Experience working with foreign organizations
Strategic thinker with the ability to create strategic plans and lead them through to execution.
Candidates please send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screened, qualified candidates will be contacted for an initial telephone interview.